Friday, February 12, 2010

The politics of greed and envy

America is plagued by the politics of greed (Republicans) and envy (Democrats). This is the spirit that doomed Rome and it will doom us if we don't get over it. Yet I see nothing on the horizon to indicate that the politicals are waking up to this fact. One side is obsessed with an ever-expanding wish list of "rights" for anyone and everyone, regardless of economic or social/civic cost. The other is obsessed with libertarian economics despite centuries of evidence that unregulated markets lead to abuses and real people being hurt for the profit of the few. I see no reason to expect this to change on either side unless we the people respond to extremism by no longer voting for it. I will say that I find it extraordinary that the Republicans who six years ago said they would be "bipartisan" when they had a veto-proof majority in Congress, now say "bipartisanship" means giving the minority party control of governing. I blame both parties for the mess in government, but I blame the Republicans all the more because they are supposed to be the responsible and realistic party.

I am convinced the Republic is in real trouble and that Washington is full of little Neros, each fiddling his or her little tune of "Reelect Me At All Costs," while Rome burns.

No comments:

Post a Comment