Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I love my Trecento!

I'm a big guy--in several directions. Two years ago I decided to get a "new," or should I say, "different," car. I had a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer, purchased at a time I planned to use it a lot in camping. By 2008 it was clear that my estimate of the need for such use had been vastly exaggerated. The vehicle was very bad on gas mileage at a time when gas prices were spiking, and was unreliable enough to earn it the name, "The Great Green Lemon."

I had a long and frustrating look until I found my current ride. I found that few companies bother to make cars roomy enough to accommodate me. I tried to be a loyal Michigander and looked for cars ostensibly built by my neighbors rather than in some "red" state or overseas. I found that exterior dimensions are no predictor of internal room--neither the Buick Lucerne nor the Cadillac DTS would have been comfortable, for example. Finally I swallowed certain qualms about the Chrysler 300 (rear wheel drive and the strength of the company) and bought one. I found a great dealer--Erick Henkel in Battle Creek--and got a fabulous deal on a wonderful car.

It is roomy enough--I don't even put the seat back all the way! It is well styled, reliable, drives well, and has the power I need--I didn't buy the Hemi, remember I was looking for better mileage, but it still has decent "oomph". And made by a Michigan company, and carrying a certain cachet (at least for me), and not just plain vanilla like so many a vehicle on the road today.

Then last year Chrysler was essentially given to Fiat--not exactly boding well for my ability to buy another 300 when this one wears out. Fiat is not well known for the quality of its products, at least not here in the U.S. My friend Vincent Castelli Westra joked that the next time I go to look for a car, it will be a "Fiat Trecento," not a Chrysler 300!

This morning I heard an expert tell Steve Inskeep that because China has become the largest national car market, we can expect all vehicles to start reflecting Chinese consumer preferences. Even what's left of the Michigan vehicle industry will feel impelled to do so.

I don't know what these Chinese preferences will be. I suspect they will not include the need for as much room as I need. In my experience the free market which is supposed to lead to consumer choice often ends up with every vendor chasing the same demographic--look at cable t.v. This thought fills me with angst. I love my Trecento!

2 comments: