Sunday, November 4, 2012

Reason 8--The Supreme Court

Quite simply, I don't believe the nation can survive any more Alito/Scalia type Justices, and that's what Mr. Romney has promised to appoint.  I recognize that he is not bound by such promises, and it seems he doesn't feel bound by most anything he says except, "Elect me!"  But in this I take him at his word.  I expect that we will get at least 2 and maybe more new Justices during the next Presidential term.  I think the women The President has appointed have been reasonably good--I'd like to see a President return to the practice of seeking quality before ideology, and even appointing members of the other party, which hasn't happened since Nixon, but Kagan and Sotomayor have been decent Justices in spite of the efforts of the radical right to "Bork" them.  

The President is a scholar of the Constitution (which makes me laugh at the rabid Romney-ites who say that the President is somehow a danger to the Constitution).  I trust him to continue to make acceptable appointments to the Supreme Court, even though I think he will be more influences by demography and ideology than he should be.  I expect Romney to appoint people who will be in favor of more Citizens United-type decisions--there, the ruling was that corporations have the right to make unlimited political contributions.  I can imagine further abhorrent and aberrant decisions from the litmus-tested candidates that Mitt would appoint.  Even if he wanted to appoint someone who was moderate, I suspect the Taliban Party types would have none of it.  

Citizens United has been the worst Supreme Court decision of a generation--it ranks with the Dred Scott decision and Plessy v. Ferguson as an unholy trinity of terrible, corrosive, unjust decisions that have had awful consequences for the Republic.  It has introduced the appearance and the reality of outright corruption by corporate interests of both political parties.  Nothing like it must ever happen again.  We can't afford another Justice Scalia, or another Alito.  Hence, I will vote for the person who will not appoint that ilk of Justice, and against the one whom I think would do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment