Saturday, October 27, 2012

Reason 2--In my view, "Obamacare", though flawed and not what I really wanted to see, beats the tar out of "Romney-I-Don't-Care."  I don't see how 50 million uninsured people, a sixth of our population, is not a problem that needs fixing.  The status quo was essentially socialized medicine as to these people--the law required that they be treated if they went into an emergency facility seeking care, and "the system" ended up with the bill.  You and I paid for them through increased costs charged to cover the cost of treating them.  Not providing a basic level of health coverage for all is shameful.

We provide a basic level of legal representation for the indigent.  How is it moral to give them lawyers but not doctors?  

I have no sympathy for the "I've got mine, go get your own" crowd.  I think they are the ones who the Savior described as being goats, being told on Judgement Day that they did not  provide for the least of His brethren.  Government action is an effective and appropriate way for a a society to act, especially a democracy.  Romney says that if he can repeal the Affordable Care Act, he will then work to replace it with something better.  But he doesn't say what he'd replace it with.  Similar to the rest of his promise making, he is light on details.  "That's to be worked out later" is not a basis on which I'm willing to give up a flawed but far better-than-nothing attempt at fixing the problem.  I don't trust Romney to live up to those promises and I trust his party even less.


1 comment:

  1. Yes to this post and the last. I'm glad you are sharing these views.

    ReplyDelete